Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Psalm 139

1 O LORD, You have searched me and known {me.}
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar.
3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all.
5 You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me.
6 {Such} knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is {too} high, I cannot attain to it.
7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night,"
12 Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike {to You.}
13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb.
14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, {And} skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained {for me,} When as yet there was not one of them.
17 How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You.
19 O that You would slay the wicked, O God; Depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed.
20 For they speak against You wickedly, And Your enemies take {Your name} in vain.
21 Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with the utmost hatred; They have become my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24 And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.


Today has been a difficult day for me. As I write this my cheeks are stained with dried tears and my eyes are stinging, both from exhaustion and sorrow.

Psalm 139 is filled words I am standing on this evening. Words of truth. Words of faith. Words of hope. Words of wonder. The words of my heavenly Father.

Today I filmed a surgery that was awe inspiring. Part of a rib was used to rebuild a jaw. A jaw that had not functioned for 11-years. I whispered during the surgery, "How can people say there is no God?" as I watched a life transformed.

During the surgery a father brought his 4-year old son to the ship for treatment of an infection his bottom jaw. From what I understood, this was going to be a simple procedure to drain the infection. It was not. Far from it.

After the surgery I was filming was completed, I went and met with this new little ones father. I wanted to do a story on him since. I asked for his consent to tell his sons story, received it and proceeded to ask the father some information to tell the story. He held his son in his lap as we talked.

The little boy was fussing and obviously in a lot of pain from his enlarged bottom jaw. I took a couple of before photos and left the room. Soon, the little boy was taken to the OR for surgery.

We had an all crew meeting and after the meeting an announcement was made to pray for a patient in the OR who had coded, or had no heartbeat.

Now, I have have been open with you with regards to me losing it, but this time had taken on a new dimension. I sobbed.

All the crew broke up into groups and started lifting this little one up in prayer along with his family. After about five minutes a message came over the loud speaker informing us that he had a heartbeat to continue to pray for him.

As of now, at almost 10pm, he is holding his own. I do not know the prognosis, but would ask that you keep him in prayer. Because of the sensitivity of this story, I am not including his name for you, but the Lord knows him. It tells me so in Psalm 139.

I am heading off to bed. I tried to retire for the evening without blogging but it was gnawing at me, so I am hoping I will be able to sleep.

Thank you for your prayers. They are badly needed out here and much appreciated!!!

Love,
Kimberly

No comments:

Please don't go!!!

This blog was written while I served on board the Africa Mercy, a ship operated by Mercy Ships. I assure you, you will have some things to ...